The CAMP Matik belay device offers assisted braking with an innovative cam design. When the climber falls the cam does not use a blunt angle to pinch the rope, instead the cam rotates in alongside the rope before gradually capturing it. This allows a larger contact area between the cam and the rope for a better hold and the initial slippage as the cam rotates in reduces the impact force of the fall. The reduced impact force means a safer and more comfortable fall for the climber and belayer as well as reducing strain on your anchor.
A brilliant safety feature of the CAMP Matik is the Anti-Panic system for lowering. The brake lever automatically disengages causing the cam to lock in to the rope in the event of it being opened too quickly or if it is kept to far open (both of which would result in a fast, uncontrollable descent). This is particularly useful where there is minimal rope drag or during top down descents.
The Matik also has a very natural path for the rope that does not require looping or twisting of the rope during descent. Combined with the dynamic camming action that limits the impact of the fall, this more natural rope path helps to reduce wear and tear on the rope. Other distinguishing features of the Matik include a better method for inserting the rope that eliminates the possibility of clipping a carabiner to the device until it is completely closed.
NOTE: The assisted braking capability of the Matik does not relieve belayers of the need to adhere to the basic principles of belaying and rappelling. It is imperative to be attentive to the climber’s progress and always keep control of the brake line.
- A revolutionary belay-descender device with assisted braking that delivers unparalleled safety and control
- Gradual camming action reduces the impact force of a fall and decreases wear and tear on the rope
- Proprietary Anti-Panic system automatically blocks the rope if the user loses control of the descent
- Double-hinged lever and straight rope path make the descent feel very fluid and controlled
- Intuitive design eliminates the possibility of clipping a carabiner to the device if it is not completely closed
- Wide attachment hole allows the carabiner to rotate through the hole
- High-end manufacturing with hot-forged aluminum main body and precision-cast stainless steel for the critical components that come in contact with the rope
- For single dynamic ropes from 8.6 to 10.2 mm
- Weight - 276g